Thursday, May 5, 2016

26801274
Title:The Chronicle of the Three: Bloodline
Author: Tabitha Caplinger
Publisher: Vox Dei
Published Date: November 3,2015
Rating: 4 Stars





Synopsis: Zoe thought the loss of her parents would be the most difficult thing she’d ever have to endure. When she began seeing things she couldn’t explain in her new home of Torchcreek, Virginia, she was sure the grief was driving her mad. Instead Zoe discovers she is part of an ancient bloodline, one destined to defeat the powers of darkness from condemning the world. But Zoe, the daughter of the three, isn’t just another descendant–she’s the key to humanity’s salvation. 

In this first installment of the Christian fantasy trilogy The Chronicle of the Three, Zoe Andrews learns that not all shadows are harmless interceptions of light. Some are a more sinister darkness that wants to torment the soul.

Ohmygoodness! I literally devoured this book in one sitting, being so spellbound that I couldn’t move from my chair and therefore read all of it in basically one sitting. Where to start?


This book outlines Zoe’s journey to finding herself and creating her fate. The book starts off with her moving far away after losing both of her parents, and staying under her Aunt Claire’s care. At school she observes something that changes everything and forces Claire to do something that she’s never wanted to, something that she really hoped that she could protect her niece from, <i>simply tell her the truth</i>. The worldbuilding was absolutely stellar, as it's not really the typical dystopian feel that you get with a lot of books these genres, it goes beyond that because it’s 10x more mysterious, and both the reader’s and Zoe are left in the dark,which I’ll elaborate on later.


One plot device that the author really utilized was that the author paints signs & symbols and scatters them throughout the whole book, which makes everything seamlessly connected. There was so much creativity overflowing onto these pages, because I didn’t even realize that this is Christian fiction, it was displayed very indirectly and subtly. So its not one of those convert-right-now type of stories at all.


Onto the characters, they were some of the most honest warriors that I’ve ever met, and by the end I felt myself rooting very hard for them, especially for the ever-dutiful hurting Aunt Claire. The speed at which they were able to adjust and grow so close together, like a mini-family was actually quite adorable to watch and process throughout.


The only reason why I didn’t give this a full star five stars, was actually because I thought there  were too little explanations, (Zoe and the readers deserved to know more).It kind of seemed like everything just suddenly “happened” even though there was some foreshadowing, I still wanted the reasoning of why behind the brain and plan. At points in the plot moving along, it seemed like some things just “popped out of the blue” and I guess that this isn’t really my thing as a reader.

Overall though, I am definitely looking forward to the next book in this series, as this was a cliffhanger of sorts and I’m dying to see what happens next. If you have never heard of this book, it’s totally worth a try, and hey, you may end up liking it just as much as I do.

Disclaimer: I received an ebook copy of this book in exchange of an honest review.

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't heard of this book before but any book you can devour in a single sitting definitely is the type of one I am going to want to pick up for myself as well! Brilliant review girl x

    ReplyDelete