Monday, January 2, 2017

Dumbledore's Army Readathon TBR


I am participating in this wonderfully diverse readathon that Aentee over @readatmidnight has created. It will runs from January 1-January 15 and I very excited to rack up as many points as possible for Team Gryffindor. Now, let's just jump in, shall we?


Whatever Happened to Interracial Love? by Kathleen Collins
I chose this book from Book of the Month club because I know several friends that are in an interracial relationship, and so this topic was of great interest to me. It is a newly discovered work of art written by a feminist in the 60-80s I believe. This is a short collection of short stories, so it should be perfect to kick off my readathon with.

This book is a collection of short stories that feature Argentine women doing things. This is a debut novel and the author is also Argentinian so it could fall under #ownvoices. I have personally never read a contemporary that is set in Argentina, so this is definitively a new experience for me. Have heard a lot of buzz about this, so I am very excited to be picking this one up soon!

This book was so inspirational back when I first read it, I think that it's the reason that I became a feminist. I would like to go back and reread it, as I feel I will also benefit a lot on the second try. The TED talk that inpsired this is absolute gold, so I would also highly reccomend watching that before reading this book!


I literally squealed when I saw that my NetGalley request of this had been accepted. I clearly remember my reading experience with Kindred, and when I found out that it was going to be a graphic novel I almost fainted of joy. This should be a harrowing visual portrayal that is extremely inclusive to women. Drooling commence!


For my birthday, I went to a local(ish) Barnes and Nobles and purchased this highly recommended book which was incidentally on sale. I've yet to read this book, but I am very enthusiastic to try out the generational concept. As I've said, I've been keeping my eye on this one for far too long and I am so ready to get started into it with this readathon. 

This debut book has been plastered everywhere all over the bookish internet. I actually won an ebook copy of this from Twitter, so it also gave me an extra incentive to push and read it. I'm very excited to be seeing a character from the LGBT community being represented here, and again I truly hope that this book will live up to it's hype!

Funny story, I actually attended a whole Twitter chat dedicated to this book, where various book bloggers were obviously recommending it. Yet, I haven't picked it up but I think that it's prime time to get immersed into this fantasy world. (any hardcore fantasy nerds out there?) Also, as a fun fact this beautiful cover was voted on NetGalley as #1 cover of the year, so there's that. 




2 comments:

  1. This challenge sounds amazing and I've just added even more to my TBR :O
    Good luck!
    Cora @ Tea Party Princess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's actually going great and I'm having an enjoyable time :)

      Delete